martes, 21 de junio de 2016

Queen Elizabeth's birthday

Elizabeth II has seen her birthday be celebrated several times this year. Do you know why? Check out this video, it explains why she has had no less than THREE celebrations this year: Queen Elizabeth's three celebrations




There have been massive celebrations around the world, not just in London or all around the UK, remember she is also the Head of the Commonwealth. Does that sound familiar?Check it out if it is something you have never heard of before.


I really recommend you to watch the following video, too. It shows how still at 90, Queen Elizabeth is in excellent shape. You can listen and watch the Queen deliver a very short speech (1 minute). Make sure you watch it until the end, there's a joke there. 
Enjoy her pronunciation, there sure is a reason why the 'standard' (meaning posh) variety of English is called the 'Queen's English'.


Here is the transcript if you want to read along:
'To everyone here today, and to those holding street parties elsewhere, I would like to say thank you for the wonderful support and encouragement that you continue to give me.
I hope these happy celebrations will remind us of the many benefits that can flow when people come together for a common purpose, as families, friends, or neighbours.  And I pay tribute to the commitment, selfless devotion and generosity-of-spirit shown by the hundreds of charities and voluntary organisations represented here today.  You are an example to us all.
I much appreciate the kindness of all your birthday wishes, and have been delighted and moved by the many cards and messages I have received.  How I will feel if people are still singing Happy Birthday to me in December, remains to be seen!'

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario